Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The San Diego Zoo

Although it is about as out-dated as "The Rachel," I just have to finish my California post series, which includes our trip to the world-famous San Diego Zoo. Jeremy hadn't been to the zoo since he lived in San Diego while in high school. Needless to say he was due a trip to see the animals. Although I had been to the zoo the previous summer, I still enjoyed our trip and I got to see the new Elephant sanctuary area that they were constructing the year before. There's really no need for narrating. Nothing too exciting happened while we were at the zoo - no stampeding elephants, no ravenous lions, no monkeys throwing poop. It was a very tame day. So I'll just post some of my photos of the beautiful animals.

The flamingos greet you the moment you walk in the gate.


Jeremy having some fun.


Hippos


We waited in a long line to see the pandas. I thought that maybe the experience would be different a year later - plus since Jeremy hadn't been to the zoo in so long I figured it couldn't hurt to wait in line to see them. But, just like last year, it was a tad disappointing. You stand in line to be shuffled through the viewing area and then the pandas are no where to be seen. Luckily I did get one photo of a panda's back. Joy.


The giraffes were fun and actively eating lunch.




All of the koalas were sleeping - as usual.


The camels were interesting. This one was foaming at the mouth and his hump was a little floppy. I was a tad concerned he had co-mingled with the pigs and caught the swine flu.


Here we are at the Elephant Odyssey. It was pretty cool! And, no, it was not simply because the elephant is the mascot for the best college football team EVER! ;-)






An owl.


At the end of the day we jumped in the air cart and rode over the park.

No comments: