Monday, November 2, 2009

What's the Skinny?

I am so excited about my new purchase I can't stand it. And, no, it's not camera equipment! (shocker I know!). The other day I decided to stroll through Kohl's with a pocket full of coupons, hoping I'd find some loot. And I did! Granted, not as much as I was hoping, but I was still very happy. I bought a few advanced Christmas presents and some bowls for the kitchen and a few drape options for the guest room. But the purchase I was most excited about was my skinny jeans! Yes, you heard correctly. I bought skinny jeans. I couldn't believe it either. I mean, me, in skinny jeans? It's like an oxymoron! Before you say I'm being too hard on myself let me explain. I know that I have curves. What can I say, I'm a curvy girl. And that's not a bad thing. My hips create the illusion that my waist is tinier - and I'm a big fan of that.

But being the curvy girl that I am, I never believed I could pull off a pair of skinny jeans. I usually see them on thin, stick-figured girls (they look more like little boys) and of course they look good on them. And it's not all in my head either - I have actually tried on a pair of skinny jeans before and OMG - they were horrible. A complete disaster. It looked like someone had shoved a pear into a condom. It just wasn't pretty. Ok, so I don't really have the "pear" shape - my legs are tiny. But I do have hips, so when you put something tiny on them and then there is nothing to flair at the bottom to balance them out . . . well I'm sure you can picture it (if you are brave).

But then I had some inspiration. We went to Tampa awhile back for our good friend Jen's 30th birthday. Now Jen is ALWAYS stylish and I've always envied her clothes. So when she came out ready to go out for her birthday, she looked adorable as always. And what did she have on? Skinny jeans! Now the reason this was inpirational to me was because Jen is built similar to myself (except she is in better shape!) - she's got some curves and hips as well. And the jeans looked AMAZING on her! Where did she get them? Ann Taylor Loft. I should have known. It's only my favorite store on Earth - my mecca you could call it. I truly believe I need to take a pilgramage there at least once a month. Unfortunately, Jeremy forbids that - seeing as we would be broke.

So fast forward to the other day. I'm in Kohl's and see some skinny jeans on the rack. And what really made me stop to look is that they are Vera Wang skinny jeans (ok, Simply Vera if I have to be 100% accurate). And I have always wanted to own something Vera! (I do need to give a shout-out to my good friend Laura for buying me my Vera toasting glasses for my wedding - that was my first thing Vera. But I want clothing as well . . . ) So I figured "what the hell? I'll just try them on." And I was pleasantly surprised. They were sort of cute. I put them on. Turned a little in the mirror. Took them off and tried on a few other things. Then put them back on again. This happened a few times. And each time I put them on, I liked them a little more. But what pushed me over the edge to take the plunge was the price. They were 30% off and I had an additional 15% coupon! I just couldn't pass this deal up. So I grabbed them and didn't let myself think twice about it.

The next day I decided to try them on. I rolled them up a tad so they looked like cute capris and then threw on flip-flops and my Alabama jersey and I was sporting it, if I do say so myself. I haven't worn them rolled down yet, but that time will come. I am especially looking forward to wearing them with my UGGs. Finally! A pair of jeans I can wear inside the UGGS without them all bunching up! I still feel a little self-conscious about my hips, but as long as I pair them with a long top, I'm A-OK! *sigh* I'm in love. Oh, so this means if you ever see me in them, and they actually look horroble, please do NOT tell me and let me just continue to be delusional. Thanks!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What? No picture?
I dont think I could ever wear skinny jeans...I love the idea of wearing them in your uggs!

Ashley said...

Sorry, no self-incriminating photos as of yet. But I'll try to remember next time I wear them!