Thursday, May 21, 2009

Check out my new toy!

A few weeks ago I took the plunge and purchase a new toy: the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens!! Here's a picture of my new prize:

Imagine my excitement when the package just happened to arrive on my birthday. It was like a birthday gift from the photography gods, urging me to go out and be brilliant. And so I did . . . or at least tried. As I practiced with the lens, I realized that it is very temperamental. Not so unlike a woman - after all, it's our perogative to change our mind and be perfectly beautiful (or in focus) one day and the next just be a mess (or, did you figure it out yet? Out of focus!). And even more of a coincidence is that this little lens likes to be out of focus in low-lighting areas - just as a woman tends to not care as much if she knows there won't be a huge spotlight on her! (Or is this just me?!) Anyway, the more I've practiced, the better I've gotten. And let me tell you, this little lens is a gem. It really can do wonders. Check out some recent work:

And although it doesn't replace my 50mm f/1.4 as my favorite lens, it may run a very close second! I can't wait to try it on a newborn's eyelashes . . . any taker's?

While I'm on the subject of babies, I'd like to give a huge shout-out to my friends Janene/Michael and Betsy/Gavin for their recent good news on the expansion of their families! Congratulations!

2 comments:

RowdyReptile said...

Great stuff... love that shot on the ladybug! Don't forget to stand back and use it as a telephoto portrait lens, as well. -Brad

Ashley said...

Thanks Brad! I definitely will. Although I really love my 50mm for all other shots!