Friday, August 14, 2009

Fish Tacos

After arriving home from a wonderful - and very fast-paced! - week in California (a blog to come at a later date I promise), I wanted to make some fish tacos to remind me of the wonderfulness that is California. I just love it out there! Maybe it has something to do with the weather. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's it.

I had this recipe for fish tacos, but it called for sauteing the fish and since I'm not a big fish lover, I really wanted mine fried. So I basically combined two recipes to make this dinner. I made the fish according to one recipe that called for pan frying it and then I used the other recipe for the actual taco part.

Cheese-crusted fish

Ingredients:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 large eggs, beaten)
2 cups crunchy cheese-flavored corn snacks (These were near impossible to find. Actually, they WERE impossible to find. I couldn't. What I was envisioning here were cheese-flavored Bugles. The only corn snack I could think of that came in cheese flavored. But Publix did not have any. So I used cheese-its for the recipe and it still turned out great!)
Large ziplock bag
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 firm, white fish fillets (tilapia, cod, etc); 20-24 oz thawed (I used tilapia)
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions:
1. Place flour on plate (may be paper); place eggs in shallow bowl. Place cheese snacks in ziplock bag; seal tightly and crush with fingertips until fine. Add panko, parsley, coriander, and pepper; mix until well-blended. Place mixture in second shallow bowl.

2. Dip each fillet in flour coating both sides; shake off excess. Dip each fillet into egg. Finally, dip into crumb mixture and coat evenly.

3. Preheat large saute pan on medium 3-4 minutes. Place oil in pan. Add 1/2 of the fish fillets; cook 3-4 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Place on paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining fillets.

Fish Tacos

Ingredients:
4 ounces cabbage, finely shredded
1/2 small red onion (I omitted)
Tomato (optional; I used since I omitted the onion)
6-8 small flour tortillas (I used big burrito tortillas since it was what I had on hand)
Cheese-crusted fish (recipe above)
White sauce

White sauce recipe:
1 1/2 tablespoon minced cilantro
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon lime juice

Directions:
1. Mix the ingredients for the white sauce together.

2. Spread liberal amount of white sauce on tortilla. Then add fish, cabbage, onion, tomato, and whatever garnishes you desire. Serve.

The tacos came out very yummy! Jeremy and I did both think that the white sauce was a tad too lime-juicy for us. So next time I may cut back on the amount of lime juice I use. But to each their own! Also, I think adding some feta cheese to the tacos would just be the right touch to make these amazing! I will definitely add feta next time around. Enjoy!


No comments: