Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Potato, Zucchini, and Carrot Pancakes

Or better known throughout this post as PZC Pancakes (it's just a lot easier to type!). What a name, huh? I know what you're probably thinking: "Pancakes with Zucchini and Carrot?!? Disgusting!" I know, because it's what I initially thought. I mean, this sounds REALLY gross doesn't it? Ok, to some of you weird foodies out there, maybe it sounds perfectly normal. But to us regular people who don't go looking for actual ginger root and rhubarb and all those other odds and ends, this recipe doesn't come off sounding all that appetizing. However, because I was feeling a little adventurous and because I just happened to have an extra zucchini lying around, I decided to give it a try. I was planning on making this for breakfast over the weekend, but ran out of time and it became a "breakfast for dinner" meal. Works perfectly fine both ways!

Anyway, here are the key players:

1 medium zucchini, 1 large carrot, 1 1/2 pound baking potatoes, flour, eggs, fresh/dried thyme, salt and pepper (because they ALWAYS come in a pair! You can't have one without the other, right?), canola oil, and spring greens.

Don't worry, I'll write it out for you later so you can easily copy and paste and then try this recipe at home. So, a few things first:

(a) I apologize for not having more photos
(b) I apologize for the quality of the photos - I just wasn't feeling it this night!
(c) I'm going to give you the recipe for the spring greens, but adding them is optional. And FYI - I did not make them and therefore my PZC Pancakes were minus spring greens and still turned out yummy!

Hmmm, I guess that's all. Ok, here we go.

The shredding is the hardest part about this recipe. And let me give you a hint: buy those pre-shredded carrots over in the produce section! You know - the kind you put on salads or in stir-fry. Trust me, it's much easier. I mean, first of all, unless you go around buying those bags of carrots, which let me tell you that I do not, then this recipe is hard. Because it calls for just one carrot. One. I mean, who buys just one carrot? No one - because "The Man" doesn't let you. He packages them up in bags where you are forced to buy at least 6 or 7 or 8. And because I just don't use carrots that often, that is a waste of money and good food. So, if you are like me, take my word for it and buy the pre-shredded carrots.

Ok, where were we? Yes, so shredding. This will be a lot easier if you have one of those handy dandy shredding devices. Which we just happened to have! I completely forgot about it and started doing my shredding using the cheese shredder (which, by the way, you can use it if you have to, but it's a lot harder!). Anyway, thank goodness for Jeremy! Because he remembered we had gotten this handy little mandolin (is that what it's called??? Isn't that some sort of guitar?? Oh well!) for our wedding. So we break it out for the first time (yes, it's almost been 3 years - shut it!) And this device was amazing! We just cut the potato (after peeling of course) in the little hand-holder thing with prongs and wha-la! You're set to shred! We used the "blade" that looks identical to the cheese grater (hence why I said you can get away with that if you want, but you won't have the awesome hand-holder!) Anyway, shred your potatoes and zucchini and then you already have your pre-shredded carrots (and after shredding the pototoes and zucchini, you'll thank me for having you buy those carrots already shredded! And if anyone ever finds pre-shredded zucchini and potatoes, please let me know!!).

Then you drain out the excess water in the zucchini - because it is very watery! I actually forgot this step. Oh wait! No, I didn't. But Jeremy was being so kind as to help me out by shredding and I forgot to tell him about this part and so he just piled up all the shredded potato and zucchini in one big pile. So I couldn't drain the zucchini. Oh well! It didn't really hurt the recipe, but I think I'd do it next time around. So then you put all the shredded stuff in a bowl and mix with the flour, egg, thyme, and the married couple - salt and pepper. Now, Jeremy thought the recipe was a little too thyme-y, so when I make it again, I think I may hold back a tad on the thyme. But by all means, make it to your personal taste preferences! You may love thyme! If that's the case just pour the whole bottle in there! (Ok, seriously, don't. Because then you'll hate this recipe and come back blaming me and that just won't do).

Moving on. Now you will take a handful of this mixture (about 1 cup) and press it onto a heated skillet (with oil). Make it as round as possible - you know, like a pancake! Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side and then transfer to a baking sheet (also covered in cooking spray). Then you will make an indentation in the pancake. You can use a wooden spoon or a measuring cup bottom. Pour an egg into the "nest" and place in oven, uncovered. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until eggs are cooked. Wha-la! PZC Pancakes!! Enjoy! (I even used a little bit of ketchup with mine, but that about made Jeremy gag. He doesn't believe ketchup should be anywhere near eggs. Weirdo.)

(picture before egg is cooked)

Ok, here's a copy and paste version of the recipe! Oh, I made this for only 2 people, which obviously changes some of the amounts of things you need. But I still used 1 zucchini and 1 cup carrots and the potatoes. It actually gave me just enough for 2 people, with only a little left over. But maybe my pancakes were bigger than the usual . . .

Potato, Zucchini, and Carrot Pancakes
4 servings

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups) (I bought one large potato and then one very small one and it was enough for 2 people)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
5 eggs
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp canola oil (as usual, I used EVOO)
1 recipe spring greens (recipe below and optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425. Lightly coat two small baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. (make sure to use plenty because my pancakes did stick a little to the sheet).

2. Drain zucchini in a colander; press to squeeze out excess liquid. In large bowl, combine zucchini, potatoes, carrot, flour, 1 egg, thyme, salt, and pepper.

3. In extra-large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat (again, I used the entire amount of oil for only 2 - I didn't want them to stick). To make a pancake, spoon about 1 cup portion of potato mixture into skillet; evenly press and round edges wtih back of spatula. Cook 2 pancakes at a time, 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden brown. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat.

4. With the back of a wooden spoon or 1/4 cup measuring cup, gently press each pancake, slightly off center to make a 3 inch diameter depression, deep enough to hold an egg. Pour 1 egg in each nest. Place pancakes with eggs in oven, being careful not to tilt baking sheet. Bake uncovered 10 to 12 minutes or until eggs are cooked through. Transfer to serving plates.

Spring Greens
In large bowl, combine 3 cups watercress and 1 small carrot, peeled and cut in long strips with vegetable peeler. For dressing, in bowl combine 2 tsp white wine vinegar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp salt, and a dash of pepper. Slowly whisk in 3 Tbsp olive oil. Serve with watercress and carrot strips.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

that looks so freakin good!!!