Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Random Stir Fry

One of the reasons I initially wanted to set up a blog is because I have been cooking a lot more lately and wanted to be able to post thoughts and photos of some of my dishes. Well, I have several stored up on my camera, but have yet to get motivated to copy them onto the computer. Don't get your panties in a wad - I will shortly and then you will soon have the pleasure of viewing my culinary expertise. Or lack thereof.

Anyway, last night I realized I had several veggies that were about to go bad so I thought "I'll make stir fry." Bad idea... horrible... As I'm cutting up my veggies I realize that this will be a very unconventional stir fry. Normally in stir fry you see broccoli, peppers, chicken, some snow peas, maybe some water chestnuts. Well the only thing I had out of the normal repertoire was the snow peas. Instead, my stir fry consisted of snow peas, squash, zucchini, and asparagus! Like I said: random! I still thought this might turn out tasty. Boy was I mistaken.

Earlier in the day I had looked up a few stir fry recipes to see about sauces. I found one that sounded descent and tried it. The ingredients are as follows: soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, cornstarch, ginger, sesame oil, and water. Mix that altogether and put in your wok and let it thicken. Then re-add your veggies. Or so the directions say. Anyway, I had sauteed my veggies in some EVOO first, then removed them and added this sauce. I let it thicken like the directions said (which it miracuously did!) and then added the veggies again and stirred. Then I put this mixture over a bed of rice. Wha-la?

In the words of a friend: OH.MY.GOD! It tasted horrible! Let's just ignore the icky sauce for a moment.... I didn't even cook the snow peas long enough. This shows my culinary genius - I placed all the veggies in the wok at the same time. Ding, ding, ding.... yah, snow peas need longer than the other veggies to become even semi-soft. So here we are crunching our way through our stir-fry - with the icky sauce - and barely being able to hear the TV because the snow peas are making so much noise! I had precisely 3 bites of my meal and decided I was not wasting another calorie on it. Jeremy on the other hand - God love him - suffered through his entire bowl! Now THAT is a good husband! I proceeded to then make myself the most delicious grilled cheese ever! So maybe I have some culinary genius after all.....

Photo of the inedible stir fry to come shortly. I know you are very excited!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

OMG! I seriously need to see a picture of this!

Ashley said...

The picture actually turned out good - it makes the stuff look edible! LOL