Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What a Shout-Out!

Back in October a wonderful thing happened. The Florida Supreme Court releasd its opinions (finally!) in two very important cases: Jews for Jesus, Inc. v. Rapp and Anderson v. Gannett Company, Inc. I had been waiting for these opinions patiently - and at times, not-so-patiently - for months. Seven months to be exact. You'd think that the highest court in the state would be more efficient.

But let's back up. Last summer, my interim project report at work was analyzing the cause of action for false light. It was a very intriguing piece if I do say so myself. Yes, I'm sure I'm the only one who would say so. Anyway, if anyone is interested in reading said piece, here ya go: http://www.flsenate.gov/data/Publications/2008/Senate/reports/interim_reports/pdf/2008-144ju.pdf After my report was finished, I attended the oral arguments for the two cases listed above...in March! Then I religiously checked the Supreme Court's website every Friday to see if an opinion was released. I was about to give up all hope of ever seeing the resolution to this issue when on October 23 I was greeted with great excitement: the opinions were posted!


Justice Pariente is one hell of a judge and I enjoyed her opinion immensely. Maybe it was because I felt along the same lines as her throughout writing my interim report. Or perhaps it is because she gave a shout-out to my report on the bottom of page 28 of the Rapp case. Seriously, check it out:

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/decisions/2008/sc06-2491.pdf Remember, page 28. I realize my name never personally appears on the report or the opinion, but that matters not. I know I wrote the report. Everyone at work knows I wrote the report. And everyone I know knows I wrote the report. So I'm doing the happy dance:


Because I will take whatever recognition I can.

No comments: