Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chicken Carbonara

Well, I have somehow misplaced my recipe for this! I don't know how that happened. I will continue to look for it. But I want to go ahead and post the photos since I am actually blogging from home for once. I apologize for the lack of the recipe. That will be remedied shortly.

Overall, this recipe did not impress me that much. It was good. But not something I'd rave about.





****UPDATE: I found the recipe. Here ya go:

Spaghetti Carbonara
(source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks)

Ingredients
1 lb spaghetti or other thin pasta
4 eggs
1 lb bacon
1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
8-12 cloves of garlic, sliced or chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup white wine
1/2 stick of butter
1 handful of parsley
1-2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper

Preparation
First, slice up the bacon in to pieces about an inch thick. Then toss them into a heated stainless steel pan. Cook until browned and crisp.

While the bacon cooks, put on water to boil for the pasta and add the pasta once the water has reached a rolling boil and cook to al dente. When the bacon is cooked, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving the renderings. Cook the chopped onion in the renderings for a few minutes and then add the garlic.

Once the onion and garlic have cooked for a few minutes, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Discard the leftover renderings. Place the pan back on high heat until it starts to smoke a little. Then pour in the white wine and deglaze the pan. Add one cup of chicken stock. Return bacon, onion, and garlic to the pan and let simmer over medium heat.

Crack four eggs into a large bowl. Chop up most of the parsley and add it to the bowl along with most of the parmesan cheese. Mix well with a fork.

Drain the water from the pasta and add the very hot pasta to the egg mixture. The heat from the pasta will partially cook the eggs. Then add the bacon mixture and toss to combine. Finally, throw a 1/2 stick of butter in. Pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese and serve immediately.

The reason I was iffy on this recipe is the uncooked eggs part. That really bothered me - even if the hot pasta is supposed to "cook" them. I don't know, but it freaked me out. So it was hard for me to overcome that and enjoy the meal.

No comments: