Saturday, February 21, 2009

Honey Chicken, Vanilla Rice, and Brussel Sprouts

This is one of those recipes that I didn't follow directly (once again). But it still turned out very good. Except for the brussel sprouts. I wasn't a huge fan. Don't know if I'll try those again. In all actuality, I didn't "make" the brussel sprouts; I bought one of those Blue Robin whats-it-called frozen things that you place in the microwave for 5 minutes. They have some very yummy combinations, but I don't think brussel sprouts are my cup of tea.

Honey Chicken

Ingredients:
1/4 cup ginger spice paste (I couldn't find this, so I used my ground ginger spice. Obviously I didn't use a 1/4 cup. I don't remember how much I used, but I think I just sprinkled some in the bowl.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 1 /2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon canola oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 cup honey

Directions:
1. Combine ginger paste, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Place flour on plate; dip chicken in flour until coated and shake off excess. Dip chicken in ginger mixture, coating both sides. Preheat large saute pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes.
2. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.
3. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 5-7 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
4. Slice chicken and drizzle with honey. Serve.

Vanilla Rice

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon canola oil (used Olive Oil)
1 cup basmati rice
1 3/4 cups water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat medium saucepan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add rice and cook 1-2 minutes or until rice is coated and thoroughly heated.
2. Stir in water, sugar, and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 1 minute, stirring often.
3. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cook 2 minutes (do not sir or remove cover during cooking). Fluff rice with fork and serve.


No comments: