Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's that time of year again

You know, the day when everyone walks around with ashes on their forehead and from a distance you just think that person has a bruise or forgot to wipe the dirt off their head after rummaging around in the garden. Ok, I realize that Ash Wednesday was technically yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to post, so I'm doing it now.

I am Methodist, which means that I do not follow the traditional Lent activities and I definitely do not have ash on my forehead on Ash Wednesday. However, since I was little I always chose to give something up - or add something to my life that I normally would not do - during Lent. I liked the camaraderie of giving something up during Lent - there was accountability and somehow it made it easier to follow through (with of course the occasional slip up).

Well this year Ash Wednesday (the kickoff of Lent) came and went before I realized it. So it is now the second day of Lent and I have not figured out what I would like to give up or add to my life this year. It really must be something reasonable because I want to succeed - I don't like feeling like a failure. Granted, I don't think anyone actually ever chooses to be a failure; it just sometimes happens. You don't wake up one day and say "I think I want to fail today." Nope. It just doesn't happen. But I do like to negotiate the odds as much as I can in my favor so that I do not fail. Basically, stack the deck if you will. Yah, Vegas doesn't like me. So, since Lent falls during session, it is very hard for me to pinpoint something that I can do without failing. For example:

A. I can't say I will workout at least 4 days a week. Because it just won't happen. Not during session.
B. I can't say I won't eat out except 1 night a week. Because during session I end up eating out for dinner almost every single night of the week. When you have to work until 10, 11, 12 o'clock at night, it's too hard to go home, eat a descent dinner, and then come back to work. So we usually order out and eat at our desks.
C. I can't give up diet soda or coffee. Again, during session these are my life-savers. They keep me alive and functioning when I'm so exhausted I can't think straight.

So, what, praytell should I give up?? Any suggestions?? I seriously need some help here. So please feel free to leave me a comment and tell me what YOU are giving up or doing for Lent (if you are chosing to follow it at all). And maybe that will spark some ideas for me. And if nothing else, it could be entertaining!

2 comments:

Woodland Fields Photography said...

I've got nothing... :( Maybe reinforcing one of your New Years resolutions? You had a lot of those.

murphyec said...

What if you read a bible verse (or chapter depending on teh time) every day?